This position offers excellent health benefits, 6% 401(k) match, paid vacation and sick time, 10 paid holidays, and more! The Service Technician - Refractory and Ironworker is responsible for restoring or replacing linings of furnaces, kilns and basins by installing refractory bricks, blankets, modules, castables, plastics or ceramic coatings to protect structures from high heat. In addition will be responsible for the lay, fit and fabrication of structural steel, plate and pipe according to blueprint plan design.
About Our Client
Our client is an industry leader specializing in manufacturing offering combustion process solutions and services throughout the world. They work with clients in the areas of design, manufacturing, installation, commissioning, and technical support throughout equipment life cycles to drive projects in cement, mineral, oil, energy, metal, and gas industries. This is a great opportunity to work for an industry-leading corporation that partners with some of the most innovative technology companies in the world.
- Reading blueprints or job specifications to be able to perform various welding tasks and to determine the locations, quantities, and sizes of materials required
- Laying and aligning firebricks, gunite, castables and refractory tile to build or repair structures or high temperature equipment, such as cupola, kilns, ovens or furnaces
- Tearing out refractory masonry
- Installing gunnable castables, shotcrete and lining with ceramic welding
- Installing refractory material by plastic ramming
- Setting up hoisting equipment for raising and placing structural steel members
- Pulling, pushing or prying steel members into approximate position while member is supported by hoisting device
- Forcing members into final position, using turnbuckles, crowbars, jacks and hand tools
- Aligning bolt holes in steel member using drift pins or spud wrenches
- Verifying vertical and horizontal alignment of members using plumb bob and level
- Connecting columns, beams, and girders with bolts following blueprints using various bolts, nuts, washers and torqing or welding
- Cutting and welding steel members to make alterations using oxyacetylene welding equipment and supplies
- Conforming to OSHA and Company safety plan including wearing personal protective devices
- Operating refractory pumps, gunite rigs, refractory mixers, forklifts, skid steers, etc.
- Ability to travel up to 80% with potential additional travel
- Experience with firebrick, castable, plastics, ceramics, gunnite, shotcrete/pump, anchor welding for thermal process applications
- 2+ years of construction experience
- Must have own hand tools and reliable transportation
- Willingness to work in high-stress environment with extreme weather fluctuations
- All offers of employment are contingent upon clear results of a background check and drug screen
- Background checks and drug screens will be conducted on all final candidates in accordance with applicable laws and regulations
Pay Rate: $60,000 - 70,000 per year
Location: Birmingham, AL
We are an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.